I had a setback in my inquiry this weekend as I was planning to start building my raised garden bed so I could prepare for planting but my daughter decided to break her collar bone so we spent most of the weekend at the hospital and resting! However, I have been able to connect with my peers and have gathered a few different resources to help support me in my gardening adventures!

The first resources I want to highlight is an island based resource. Metchosin farms is a local business that offers many different amenities including seeds for purchase, tutorials, and workshops to help us budding gardeners. I wanted to share one of the tutorials on their website that talks about planting seeds!

The next resource I wanted to highlight was founded in Vancouver, BC called West Coast Seeds. West Coast Seeds website is an amazing resource to get tips and learn about planting all sorts of things from vegetables to herbs to flowers and more. The company also sells seeds and has a wide range for purchase. This site has specific blogs on different plants and vegetables and how to grow them which I found immensely helpful! My daughter loves carrots so that is one of the vegetables on my list to grow in our garden. Below I have linked the blog about how to grow carrots.

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/blogs/how-to-grow/grow-carrots

I was also talking to my colleague and she directed me to a product that made building her raised garden bed straight forward and simple! She used planter blocks to connect the wood planks and used re-bar to secure the blocks in place. Building the planter box has been a barrier for me in the past because I didn’t feel like I had the right tools, but with these blocks I will be able to build my garden and get started on choosing the right soil for my vegetables to grow! See the link below if you are interested in purchasing these blocks.

https://www.rona.ca/en/product/oldcastle-garden-wall-block-concrete-tan-7-3-4-in-l-x-5-1-2-in-d-x-7-3-4-in-h-16202686-66635187